Electronic VNT and LDA controller for mechanically governed diesel engines
Do-it-yourself programmable ECU for VNT turbo boost control and diesel injection pump LDA (enrichment) control.
- 2011-03-11 Version 0.9
- 2011-06-16 Version 1.2 (Added support for Meters add-on, servo/actuator values fine tune display, RPM calculation bug fixed, better method to calculate avarage map)
- 2011-08-11 Version 1.4 (Servo support removed, LCD display module support added, built in map editor)
- 2012-07-02 Version 1.4.1d (Fixes issue with Arduino 1.0)
- 2012-09-15 Added MAX32 port by Gorden Jennings
- 2013-01-02 Updated MAX32 port by Gorden Jennings (with variable PWM output and some UI clean up too)
- 8x8 map for VNT & LDA control
- Use common VW N75 solenoids+vacuum actuators (or similiar)
- Live configuration over USB interface
- Two VNT control modes:
- Duty Cycle map - Uses RPM/TPS info to set VNT actuator position. Additional dampening can be added to improve engine response. No map sensor needed for this setup.
- Target Pressure map - Specify requested pressure value on each control point. Vnt-lda will work in closed loop and automatically move actuator until required pressure level is reached.
- LDA table can be used to fine tune soot emissions and torque limiting on certain RPM-range.
- Cheap and free :-)
- RPM Engine speed sensor, use Honeywell GT101DC
or alternator W-output as a source. (TODO)
- TPS Throttle position sensor (like Bosch "001")
- MAP Manifold absolute pressure sensor for detecting amount of boost, for example 4bar Freescale MPX6400
- Arduino AVR-microcontroller board, servos, n75 (or similiar) solenoid & vacuum actuator(s)
Quick startQuick overview of the software:
Get the latest source code (2012-07-02). Open the .ino file in your Arduino IDE and upload it the board. Use your favorite terminal program to get connected via USB serial interface. See reference design of driver board to implement hardware side of this product.
Step by step instructions:
- Making serial connection.
- Introduction to adaptation values and configuration .
- Introduction to control maps.
- Hardware - you have to do it yourself.
- Testing your hardware and setup.
- Example installation.
- Meters add-on for realtime display (built using Processing). See screenshot
- MAX32 port by Gorden Jennings (now with EGT temp., battery voltage sensing, etc!). MAX32 platform is like arduino, but more powerful (80MHz and 32bit...)
- More actuators to be supported, like this from Garrett 2260 (BMW), see video
- If you want specific actuators to be supported, please send one to me!
- Full Bosch VP37 pump control, in prototyping stage, see video